Thursday, March 8, 2012

Nightmares and Africa

Its 4am.  I am awake right now because I had a very disturbing dream.

I dreamnt that my youngest sister was abducted and brutually murdered.

One of my friends was also captured but he made it out all right.  I woke up on the verge of tears, scared, and very alone.  I was afraid a team of kidnappers would burst into my house at any moment, whereupon, I would jump into my closet and duck behind my wall of clothing.  What about the rest of my family?  

I think this dream really was playing on the fact that I really miss my cousin (he was living with us at one time when we had joint custody over him).  Also, that bad things are happening of this nature, are constantly occurring to decent people like myself and it was time that I paid attention and be more sympathetic.

I won't share my friends' lists of problems and tragedies but I will share this:

Right now in Africa kids are being abducted.  Ripped from their families, forced to kill and do unspeakable acts until they are no longer "children".  Right now in Africa a man named Joseph Kony.

I woke up from my nightmare and this is what I had to do.  I had to make this issue known to everyone I could come in contact with.  I can imagine what it would be like to lose a sister.  But I am fortunate that I woke up from the nightmare.  Many people don't get that chance to wake up from their nightmare because their nightmare is reality.

I cannot explain to you the whole story about the war that goes on in Africa, but I can tell you that I watched a short film by the organization Invisible Children who support the belief that Joseph Kony must be hunted down and brought to justice.
The following video really reminded me that there are tragedies going on all over the world.  People need our help, our prayers, and our thoughts.  We also need to start doing something to help.  Now, I wouldn't recommend donating money to this group below just because I am a a bit skeptical of their organization.  Read this: We Got Trouble and Invisible Children respond to critiques then make up your mind on whether or not to believe this group.

However, we do need to be aware and make Kony known to those who haven't heard his name.  We have to pray for the situation and then come together and find a way to do what we can to help.

In any case, there are always going to be wars and rumors of wars on earth.  What matters is how we, as bystanders, react in cases like this.  It reminds me of a quote that has been revised from the original by Pastor Nieomoller during WWII.

They came for my enemies and I did not speak out,
Then they came for the people I did not care about, and I did not speak out.
After them, they came for my friends and still I did not speak.
Then they came for my family and I did not speak.
Finally, they came for me and there was no one to speak for me.


Watch the video and make Joseph Kony famous. END WAR.

No comments:

Post a Comment