Sunday, January 22, 2012

Jan 23-Year of the Dragon

Okay so here is a non-Guam post.  Which is rare around here isn't it?  Enjoy!


Sagwa with her siblings (Sheegwa and Dongwa) from the PBS show "Sagwa, The Chinese Siamese Cat"

     Now I'm not Chinese or anything but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate their New Year which begins today! Happy Year of the Dragon.  I feel like this year is going to be fierce!

Reasons why 2012 is my "dragon" year
1. 2012 started off great with a vacation to Guam
2. I'm turning 19 in August
3. I am doing well in school
4. I'm planning on getting a second job
5. I have almost everything I ever wanted
6. I have everything that I need right now

      Speaking of Chinese celebrations, I'd like to introduce you (or re-introduce you-all you PBS kids) to one of my favorite shows when I was 6-10 years old.  Say hello to Sagwa, the Chinese Siamese cat.

     Sagwa is a cat who lives in the early Chinese era.  The tv series included characters such as the noodle loving Magistrate, his wife whose sleeves were filled with pekinese dogs, italian visitors who introduced pizza, and 100 year old tofu.
     It may sound ridiculous, but when I watched Sagwa I could smell the "old China."  Not that I know what it smells like or have ever been to China, but the vivid colors, gripping sounds and cute stories completely captured me.  For a long time China was my favorite country that I swore I would visit.  This tv show was the beginning of my "wanderlust" disease.
     In case you don't know, wanderlust is what I call my longing to travel and see new places.  My trip to Guam confirmed that I love airplanes, airports, the stress and joy of traveling over land and sea.  I haven't been on a train yet, but once I have, I'll be hooked on all forms of travel.
     Can any of you recall tv shows that have inspired you to do something?  Or want to do something?  Will you do that something?
      Over my vacation, one of the things I learned was how to live each day to the fullest.  Don't wait for tomorrow to do what you can today.  Pretend Jesus is coming tomorrow. 
NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION
      2012 The Dragon Year is the year I live each day as if it was a year

No comments:

Post a Comment